Sunday, March 27, 2016

A Little About Me - Part 1

I wanted to tell you a little about me. For those who do not know me and those who know me, but not a lot about me.

My name is Kristine Beard. Or, Krissy to some people and Kris from others. My maiden name was May. So there are still some friends who will call me May. I am 37 years old and work for the State of California as a law enforcement dispatcher. I cherish my friendships and love my family. And that's just an overview.

Born in Southern California at Little Company of Mary hospital in Torrance in August 1978. I have a younger brother who was born just over 3 years later in October 1981 named Lucas. I don't remember the year or exactly when it was, but my parents divorced when I was young and we spent our evenings/nights with my mom and days with my dad who worked graveyard driving trucks around LAX airport picking up and delivering freight. Being with him during the day was great because we would go for bike rides to the beach (he lived in Redondo Beach about a block from the beach), swim at the beach, go to different museums and parks or whatever else he thought of for us to do. Then my mom moved us to Yuma, AZ to be closer to a lot of her family. I don't remember much from that time other than missing my dad a lot. After some time, my brother and I ended up moving back to California to live with my dad. That is where my life really began. At least what I can remember.

I remember little pieces of going to school in Anaheim near my aunt and uncle's house (my dads sister and brother in law). Then eventually we moved to Lakewood, California. And that is where is really starts. I can remember most everything from second grade on. I went to Stephen Foster elementary school for second and third grade. Then, the school district opened up another school closer to our home and I went there. Craig Williams elementary school. I remember being so happy about fourth grade because I had the same amazing teacher I had in third grade. He changed to teaching fourth grade and came to the new school. Mr Hollenbeck. He made learning fun. Brought comedy into learning and a lot of hands on activities. On Fridays our class and Mr Whalen's class would go to the cafeteria after last recess for music time. Mr Hollenbeck would play his guitar and all of us kids would sing. The song that sticks out is "Surfing' In the U.S.A." by the Beach Boys. We had all different motions to do while singing. The rest of my elementary days were not that mentionable. Don't get me wrong, I actually loved my teachers, but nothing as stand out as Mr Hollenbeck.

Next up was High School. I went to the same junior/senior high from 7th-12th grade. In junior high school I was awkward. I was taller than everybody for the most part and developing already. Not to mention the acne. I was not a pretty sight (although my husband Eric would beg to differ from the pictures he has seen of me from that time). High school came and I started to take photography. I loved it. So much so, that I continued to take it until I graduated. And that teacher, Mr Sandquist, was also amazing. Really helped me learn a lot and even lived down the street from me. I ended up being one of his teachers aides both my Junior and Senior years. Also,  starting in 10th grade I ran cross country. I decided to do a school sport but didn't think I would be good enough for soft ball, basketball or volleyball. And I personally didn't want to be a cheerleader. I was a tomboy. Give me sports and I was good. I hated wearing skirts and dresses. It was jeans and shorts for me. I guess I had a pretty decent high school experience. I wasn't popular and that was fine by me. I had my small group of friends and loved our lunches and even weekends together.

Throughout my childhood and teenage years I was in sports. My parents (dad and step-mom) put us in every sport possible and let us pick what we really took to and stuck with. For me, that was swimming. Giving me water and I was a happy little fish, or dolphin since that is my favorite mammal. My high school didn't have a swim team, so I was on a club team. But, as I got into high school and my own school sports, I had to quit swimming. Which I tried to pick up again my senior year. That proved to be too much since I was now working as a lifeguard and swim instructor at the local YMCA. I decided to become a lifeguard as my first job because of a few summers I spent as a junior lifeguard at the beach in Long Beach. It was probably one of the best experiences in my life to that date. Not many kids can be a junior lifeguard let alone WANT to. I wanted to. And I ended up doing it for 5 years.

After high school I went on to Long Beach City College. There I was lucky enough to swim for the school and also play water polo. My freshman year there was the first year the women water polo team was a collegiate team that counted in the conference. It was a great experience. Honestly, before then, I had never played water polo. So it felt good that I was able to be on the team. And a good team too. I wasn't great. Nothing at all compared to my teammates who played in high school, but I feel I was good enough to be able to play. And I did. I went on to play 2 seasons there at Long Beach City College and also in a summer league with my teammates. Then, I haven't played since then. Well, except for the one alumni game at University of the Pacific with my friend and her old team there about 5 years ago. And I felt like I was going to drown after that. But still fun.

I think now is a good stopping point for this post. There is so much more to go and to keep from boring you with a long post, I'll cut it here for now. Besides, today is Easter and I should get to my little family and also shower so we can get going to my brother & sister in law's house. So, for now, Happy Easter!


No comments:

Post a Comment