Friday, November 17, 2017

ASD Evaluation & Diagnosis

The last day has been hard for me. Nothing to do with my cancer. This is about Brandon. A little back story. He has delayed speech. Before he started speech therapy back in October he was only saying maybe a handful of words. And only one phrase. That phrase was "Bye daddy". Some of the words he was saying were "dada, mama, hi, bye, and Lua (for Kahlua)". In order to be speech evaluated through Kaiser, the child needs to go through an ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder) Evaluation. Well, even though we already have the speech therapy through Alta Regional, we still are going through Kaiser to have it documented. Yesterday was Brandon's ASD Evaluation.



The ASD Evaluation is a 4 1/2 to 5 hour process of play base testing and then an interview with the parents. Unfortunately Eric couldn't go. His boss wouldn't let him have the day off as a trade. He was trying to trade to work the night shift instead, but as I think about it, I think it was a no because he had to be back to work today at 6:30am. Anyways, we got to the center a little late because it took FOREVER to get there it seemed. Mainly because there is no direct route to the location of the center. No freeways straight through. They would take us way around, so, surface streets it was.

This was the first time I saw Brandon be shy around anybody when he first met them. He was standoffish with the clinical psychologist. But, he eventually warmed up to her...with a little bit of my help. We went into a room where there was a one way mirror. People could sit in the observation room without the child to see. The first evaluation was the cognitive functioning evaluation. What that entailed was giving Brandon a puzzle of sorts where he was to put the different shaped blocks into the right spot. Also, how he deals with getting a cheerio out of a bottle and things like that. Brandon did amazingly. He was quick to putting the blocks in the right spot without any hesitation. Same went with the cheerio in the bottle. On that, he tested in the average range. I had no doubts about it at all.



The next phase, after we had a 10 minute break, was the ADOS-2 and DSM-5 diagnostic impression. This was all play based while the clinical psychologist from the first evaluation and another observed him doing different things. During this time, Brandon didn't want to play with the doll, which I already knew he wouldn't and mentioned it to the clinical psychologist when we first got in the room that he wouldn't. He just doesn't like dolls or stuffed animals. But they used bathing the baby as a play evaluation. Brandon was more interested in how the bathtub worked. He was taking it apart and putting it together. He was also interested in the door to the room. Mainly the door handle. I can see how he was interested in it since we don't have those handles at home and you could lock it and then unlock it by turning the handle. It was fun. Like I said, it was all play based. So there were all different kinds of toys on the ground also. He played a little with the blocks, the big dump truck and the cars. Leaving the baby doll and purse alone. He's a total boy. It's not for a lack of trying with dolls or other girly things. He just prefers the "typical" boy toys.

After that part was over we had a 30 minute break in which I opted to stay in that room and I put music on for Brandon and we danced and chased each other. Then it was time for the parent interview. So, the clinical psychologist asked me questions about Brandon and I answered them. Everything she asked I knew except for the ones about interacting with other kids. I know he does at day care and I have seen him a few times with other kids at the park and his cousin more recently. He interacts with them. He plays with them. Sometimes he wants to be a loaner. Shoot, I'm an adult and I don't blame that. I feel like being a lone at times also. While she was asking me the questions, Brandon got to run around and play with some toys and have snacks.

When that portion was done, there was a five minute break and then she came back in to give us the preliminary results. She sat down and mentioned these are just preliminary results and that the full report would be available and sent to us in a month. She said that the preliminary results is that his cognitive is average. He is right where he should be. Then, she said the results I was NOT expecting. She said that Brandon was preliminarily on the moderate to severe range for Autism. I was in shock! My happy, outgoing, fun, loving little boy was supposedly moderate to severe on the spectrum? There is no way! Maybe closer to mild to moderate but not moderate to severe. I broke down. I cried. Not that it's such a horrible thing to be on the spectrum. Shoot, my husband is on the spectrum. It's the wording that was used and the results. What do they expect when the child has been teething (2 year molars are coming in) and is up in the middle of the night because of it and he had to be up earlier than usual. He isn't going to want to do some of the things they expected him to do.



Once home, I let Eric know what happened and also Brandon day care provider. She helped me a little by letting me know that early intervention is key and that there was another kid in day care that was just diagnosed earlier this year the same way and also through Kaiser. Once I heard from Eric and when I picked him up last night from work I was able to explain to him everything that went on and tell him what the clinical psychologist said. He too was dumbfounded by the results. Neither of us think he is moderate to severe. When I hear that, I think of his son Benjamin and a friends son. I also thought to what two of Eric's older boys say. They hate school. They hate it because they are picked on because they are on the spectrum. I was already nervous (years early) about school for Brandon because of the bullies out there among the other things like school shootings which have become almost normal now. I just can't believe he could possibly be that far on the spectrum. Not my happy go lucky boy. We both told our parents and got the same reactions that we had/have.

This morning, when I dropped Brandon off at day care I was able to talk to his provider face to face about it. She said she was talking to another friend who's son is older than Brandon but was also diagnosed the same way and also through Kaiser. He was diagnosed at 18 months with the same thing. Moderate to severe. She told her that it's just the wording they use to get the assistance and help the child will need. I can understand that, but they should have explained that to me when she was telling me the preliminary results. Instead of letting me sit there balling my eyes out basically over making me think that because he's a delayed speaker and doesn't do certain things the way they want him to that he's moderate to severe on the spectrum. I think they need to work on how they tell parents results.

I'm going to wait until we get the full report, but eventually I want to get books on how to HELP Brandon succeed and feel confident and not feel like he's dumb. To help him not be picked on in school over this diagnosis. We will eventually go to classes on what to do and how to help him. He will get another therapist that will be able to work with him with these things. Things will be ok, it's just the initial shock when you do not see it. When so many people around him DO NOT see it. Just one more stressor on me that I really do not need. This week we will have labs done for him and get a genetic testing done also. Things will be ok. We just need to figure out our next steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment