Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Writing

It's been a while since I am written anything for this blog. There are a few reasons why to. The main one is that I am just so busy with everyday life, that I don't slow down to sit here at write very often. When I do, it's for a mom's website I am a contributor for. So, that's a huge one. I am writing, just not for myself. Really, this blog was started to give updates on my family and myself going through my cancer fight. I am still fighting the big C, but I am doing so well that there really isn't anything to talk about on that front. But, I will give a small update today.

Today is the 4th of July. A day we all celebrate America and becoming a Free Country. Most people celebrate by going out of town to busy places, going to the lakes, rivers, ocean. Heading out to family and friends houses for BBQ's and then the main event at night, the fireworks! Last year and this year we have decided to just stay home and celebrate it together as a small family of three. This morning Brandon had OT (how amazing is that, that his therapist came on a holiday. She is amazing!) and that was fun to watch him through. Both Eric and I were so amazed at Brandon. He has come such a long way in such a short period of time. He usually hates slimy things, or those squishy toys with tentacles hanging off them or squishy things. Not now! He actually couldn't wait to play with a lot of that stuff. It was amazing to see. After therapy, we all left to go to Kaiser (because in this family, Kaiser is our family these days) to pick up some prescriptions. I was there yesterday for chemo and went to get them afterwards, but found out that the pharmacy computers had been down for three hours and they had just gotten back up. So, they were very busy and it would take probably 3 hours to get my one prescription that still needed to be filled. The other two were ready, but I'd rather get them all at once. So I left yesterday with no prescriptions and we ended up going today to get them as a family. Brandon enjoys going there. Mainly because he likes to play on the elevator. If it's busy, Eric will take Brandon up and down the elevator while I wait in line.

Now, we are home and Brandon and Eric are napping while I write. Another reason I don't write as much is that Brandon and I have been very busy. For the last month we have been in a parent and child gymnastics class and also swim lessons. He has had a short break from swim lessons now, but gymnastics just finished a few days ago. We start swim lessons again next week. He had such a blast doing both. I think he will miss gymnastics. He has missed swimming. I know that. He keeps going to get our suits and asks to go swimming. Soon buddy, soon! You ad both of those activities, along with working full time and chemo every other week, it leaves no time for anything else. So, my blog posting as been on the back burner.

On the cancer front. Yes, I am still doing chemo. I found out in April that there is no end to my chemo days. I am on maintenance chemo indefinitely. When the cancer decides that this chemo doesn't work anymore, I will move on to another one. Then maybe another transplant. Maybe a clinical trial. We will see. For now, I am living life the fullest I can without hurting myself and making things worse. See, I still have the fractures in my spine to deal with. So, I have to be careful with some things I do. Even on play dates I notice when it's getting to be too much for me. I lean and hold myself up with playground structures. Then, afterwards on the way home, I use the heat from my heated seats in my car to help my back. Then once I'm home, it's popping a few of the backup pain killers to ease that pain. It sucks. I went from never taking a pill other than vitamins to having to take all kinds of different ones. On a normal day I take six different meds and sometimes, after chemo when I get sick (whichever that day may be)  I end up taking a seventh one. Crazy! I know there are people out there that take more, but to go from none or one to six or seven is a lot!

Well, nothing more is going on. Tonight we will be BBQ'g hamburgers and having fries, corn on the cob and watermelon with it. All American meal right there! Hope everybody has an amazing 4th of July! Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment