Saturday, June 25, 2016

Day +19 - Day After Appointment

Day +19. 19 Days after my transplant. Yesterday we went to Stanford for a follow up appointment of labs and to hopefully get my catheter out. Especially since we didn't have any other appointments scheduled for that part of the process. Next appointment there is with Dr. W in the clinic area. Not the treatment area.

We were called and told to allow an extra 90 minutes to get there because President Obama was going to be at Stanford University for a speech. So, we did. And there was NO traffic. We got there 90 minutes early. Luckily they took us early. About an hour early. But, after everything was done, we were out of there about the time we would have if we were taken at the right time. But, with everything that went on and we were told, I am ok with that.

On the way home, after the great news

We had labs drawn first. Since those take about an hour to come back. Those came back and everything was looking great. Well, my potassium was a bit low for them, but otherwise it's fine. They gave me potassium pills to take after I ate last night. Then, we were told that yes, my catheter was coming out yesterday. That was exciting! It made me happy because now, even though I am sore today a bit, I can hold Brandon and not have to worry about him trying to pull or yank on it.

After about 2 hours or so, we were moved to a bed from a chair so I would be ready for the nurse practitioner (NP) to take my catheter out. When the NP came in, she talked to us about the procedure and then left to get the supplies to take out the catheter. Right here is where I started to get nervous. Because 1, I was going to be awake....and 2, I didn't know if it was going to hurt or not.  I knew she was going to numb it with Lidocaine, but I still had no clue. Of course, the lidocaine hurt the most. But I still winced when she was tugging and pulling. There was a little "velcro" like piece on the tube to help keep it in place. So, even if Brandon had tugged and pulled on it, I don't think he would have gotten it out. The NP had to push my skin open a bit with a tool in order to maneuver the catheter out. Then, once she got the "velcro" part out, she let Eric pull the rest of it out. Funny thing is, I thought he was still pulling and was making a wincing face when he was actually done. They both had to tell me that it was out at least twice before I realized it.

My catheter that we got to keep

Once it was out, she put some gauze on it and placed a small sandbag on it to help any possible bleeding stop. I sat there with it on my chest for about 10 minutes. She came back in and checked out the hole and then placed the steri strips on it. I keep them on until they fall off on their own. She's also a NP after my own heart. She put so many on it. Something I would have done. Just to make sure. Then, she placed a piece of gauze on top of that in case it started to bleed through on our way home. No need for blood to get on my shirt. Especially my new Irma from Lularoe I love so much.

Once done with the catheter part, she said we were all set to go. She made sure to tell us that everybody was going to miss us because we were young and so positive. Because, they don't see many people with Multiple Myeloma as young as I am coming in there. We had also let her know how we found out about my MM because she didn't know the whole story. She was so surprised and called Brandon a little lifesaver. Which, that's what we've been saying since we found out about my MM. The last thing she told us, which made me tear up, was that there is no sign of cancer in my body. Yep, you read that right. I am in complete response! Of course, I am still tired and still "healing" from my transplant, but I have no cancer in my body. So, that's the really good news.

The new "bandage" until it falls off...steri strips

Now, we just wait the rest of the 100 days. I have 80 left to go. That's the time for totally recuperation. Right now, I'm still pretty tired easily. Especially if I overdo it. I try not to, but it is in my nature to do a lot. Traveling especially tires me out. I found that out yesterday. Even if I'm not physically doing anything there, I still get really exhausted. It makes it so the next day I am so tired I sleep. Today, I took a 3 hour nap. And Brandon slept with me for about 2 of that. He always sleeps better, at least naps, when one of us is in the bed with him.

So, for now, we sit and celebrate calmly the great news. No eating out still. Until Day +30, but that's ok. I think going out to eat would be too exhausting on me right now. So, we hang out at home. Run a few errands every now and then and just relax. It's what the doctor ordered!

No comments:

Post a Comment