Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Day +100

Day +100 large cupcake

Today is that day. Today is day +100 after transplant. I made it! Without getting sick or having to be readmitted into the hospital. I had a lot of weak and sluggish days. Days when, if I didn't have Brandon, I would have spent the day in bed. Eric and Brandon are my why. They are my why I keep fighting so hard against this evil trespasser. They keep me going. Having their love and seeing the smile on Brandon's face when he wakes up and see's me is priceless.

Bedhead morning 

What is the significance of day +100? Basically, the main issue is that the body, in general, needs time to get back to an equilibrium after a transplant. It takes time for the reinfused stem cells to settle back into the bone marrow, spread, and get back to producing blood cells at a normal level. The body also needs time to work off the side effects of the high-dose chemo prior to the transplant. The immune system, as it is being reformed, also is getting back to fighting whatever myeloma cells are left in the body, not to mention any infections which may have occurred.

"Moms #MCM" before leaving for treatment

That being said, my last lab work looks really good. Everything is in the normal limits. I haven't been sick or had any infections. And other than my back pain and sometime achy pain in my hands and joints, I feel amazing. Of course, I am still on chemo. It's a maintenance chemo. Maintenance chemo is to avoid or slow the cancer's return if the cancer is in complete remission after initial treatment. Being in "complete remission" means doctors cannot find cancer and you have no symptoms. Maintenance therapy can help keep the cancer from coming back.

Vein finder at treatment

With all of that being said. Today is a big day. We celebrated by me having my maintenance chemo this morning. Going to lunch with my mother and father in law. Then to Toys R Us with Nanny and grandpa Hoover so Brandon could play with different toys to see what they could get him for his birthday coming up and also for Christmas. He had a blast playing with all the different toys we found. Especially the toy (big ride in) cars and the toys that make sounds. Some we could barely pry him away from. Luckily, we have such a laid back little boy that he didn't throw any tantrums or cry when we pulled him away from the toys. He just went on to the next item to look/play with.

Happy at lunchtime

I know the day is not over yet, but we are having a relaxing day just napping and relaxing. I believe a walk is in order later in the nice cool crisp air. Today has been perfect for my day +100. I am not into the throw a huge bash and party all night. Never really have been. Spending it with my men are perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment