Monday, September 5, 2016

Day +91

Today was day +91. I have 10 more days left in my first 100 days after transplant. My immune system will be better. Not perfect, but much better. I will be able to be around larger groups of confined people. I'll be able to go to birthday parties and see friends even when they are sick. I'll probably still be careful with that last one though.

Happy boy

Since last I wrote, I have been putting in job applications like crazy and basically waiting to see if my department has found a spot for me yet. It's all a waiting game. I need to send in my college transcripts to add to that. So the people up in the exams unit can verify if I qualify for the spot I am trying to get. While all of that is going on, about once a week, I go through and apply for positions I can lateral transfer to. Most I can do right through the internet, some I have to physically print out and mail. Most recent is in the mail now. I think I must have applied for 40 or more jobs since the beginning of July. Of course, nobody lets you know if you are picked or not. You are left to assume you weren't picked when you don't hear anything.


Love how he looks at me

In the meantime, I spend my days playing with Brandon and attempting to nap with him while I still can. Although, while he naps, I end up cleaning, watching tv or looking for jobs. It's tough to do any of that while he's awake these days. He moves around and gets into everything. I mean EVERYTHING. Tonight I moved all of the glass grocery items from the very bottom shelves of our makeshift pantry (which I moved a month or two ago from the second shelf up to the bottom) to the very top shelves and put all his baby food on that bottom shelf. That he can play with. That won't break. We finally had to do that because he was playing with the Franks Red Hot glass bottle and picked it up and dropped it and it broke. Although, he did very well. As soon as it happened, he moved away, quickly. I think I even heard an "uh oh" after it happened and he moved away. A lot of kids his age would probably try to play in it. He didn't. We are very proud of him for that.

My nights usually consist of bathing (every few nights) him, playing with him in his room and getting him in his pajamas, then moving to our room to feed him, put on YouTube to watch our friend we call his Uncle Polli on there, and then I put on a lullaby. He will usually fall asleep by about 9 or 9:30. Although, he then wakes up when Eric gets home because he wants to have his daddy time. I don't blame him. I'd want that also. But then he is up until 2am! This kid is so much like his father with sleep. He is a night owl. He will stay up until all hours of the night and sleep in until 11am or noon. But, I personally, and Eric agrees, that needs to stop. Especially for when I go back to work. I will most likely be working "normal" (that's in quotations because my "normal" has always been shift work) hours and will need to get to sleep at a decent time myself.



How does one get back on a regular "normal" routine when they have been off for a year and were up late (sometimes until 1 or 2am or later) and slept in as much as they could? I am finding it difficult. Eric and I have decided to at least try to always be up by 9am. That's mainly for him. He starts work at 3pm usually. So, he could technically sleep in. But, we need to get Brandon on a better schedule, so, we are making plans. We just need to put them in place. As it is, it's after 11pm now. And I am wide awake. Amazingly honestly since I only got four hours of sleep last night. Brandon just wouldn't go to bed and then amazingly, woke up early. Let's hope tonight is better.

Morning coffee pick me up while Brandon plays

Being a parent is definitely a full time job. A full time job where you need to try to schedule with your other half a little alone time. My scheduled alone time has been interrupted lately by Brandon. He has been teething and has been needy of mommy. Me. I'm mommy. That usually means for me that I am getting out of the bath tub from a nice warm to hot soak for my achey body earlier than expected. Tonight was nice though. Eric gave Brandon a bath while I was in the bath. I also enjoyed a glass of wine while in the tub. I can't remember the last time that happened. Probably before I was pregnant. So, that would be over 1 1/2 years ago. Most likely in January or early February of 2015. A little before I was pregnant and MONTHS before I was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma. Really, this time around I haven't had a glass of wine (full one not the little ones you get when you go tasting) since early March before Stanford to start getting ready for my transplant. Tonight was the first night I had a glass of wine in 6 months. It was nice to enjoy one. I can't do it all the time though. It'd be a waste. While Eric's at work at least. A glass of wine is a great way to wind down and relax. Getting Brandon to sleep alone is a marathon. It's a workout. And not a glass of wine worthy. Maybe once he's asleep, but then that means going back downstairs and I'm too lazy, and achey, to do that.

Soak and a glass of wine

Now, to attempt to get a little sleep before Brandon wakes up. He wakes up at least once in the night now that we put real pajamas on him and not just a onesie. Like the pajamas keep him more comfortable. Well, if anything, we saved a little money for a while there. He seemed to be too warm in pajamas. Maybe it was just because our room at Stanford was really warm. Who knows. All I care is that he wakes up at least one time. Not 10 times, now. So, good night. Sleep tight. Don't let the bed bugs bite!

No comments:

Post a Comment