Wednesday, May 3, 2017

11 Months Later Update

Today I had a follow up appointment with my Kaiser Oncologist. I guess this could be considered my 11 month post SCT check up. Since going back to work, it's been just me going to these appointments. Eric has stayed home or been at work when I have them and Brandon has been at day care. Today was different. Eric was off work and I was home because I have an upper respiratory infection and my doctor wanted me off work to rest for a few days. Eric decided he wanted to come with me to this appointment. Then, late last night, he had the idea to keep Brandon home from day care and bring him with us since everybody there at the Oncology department would LOVE to see him. They have watched him grow and develop in person and in pictures. Really, for the first almost year of his life, we spend every week there for my treatments. The staff in the Oncology department are his extended family. They've known him since before he was born.

So, this morning we all got up and dressed and ready to go to my appointment. We get there and Kathy, one of the receptionists who is the grandma to Brandon's "girlfriend", was so excited when she saw him. I watched her and she had to do a double take. It was kind of funny. Then Jo saw him and was excited also. We waited to be called back and the nurse Kristine came to get us. Unfortunately we didn't have Kellie today. So sad we missed her. And I'm sure she is really sad she missed us. While I was getting weighed and my blood pressure and temperature taken, nurses would come by and notice Brandon and be so surprised to see him. Some couldn't believe how big he was getting.

We were finally in the room waiting for Dr. H and Brandon was playing in the hall. Dr. H came up and saw him first and was commenting on how big he has gotten and saying hello to him. We all came into the room and Dr. H did my once over exam to listen to my heart and lungs and check my stomach. He asked me how I was feeling and I said I was feeling good. Then, he said everything is looking excellent. There is barely any bad protein to be detected. If any at all. And that all my labs are looking great! He hasn't said the words, but this means I am basically in complete response. A form of remission. My appointments with Dr. H go so fast because there really isn't anything to discuss. They are basically to make sure I am doing well and feeling ok. He did mention that we may be cutting back on the Zometa. That's the IV drug to help build up my bones. Instead of once every month, I'd be getting it once every three months. Too bad it wasn't the chemo we were going to be cutting back on. But that will come in time.

So, after todays appointment, I feel even better. I am still sick. I still have some bad proteins in my body, but I am basically cancer free for the time being. I am healthy and I am here. I have kicked cancers booty! And I will keep doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment