Saturday, December 10, 2016

Vertebroplasty Part 3

I've been able to "test" out my new back for 5 days now. Still, no bone pain. It's amazing how fast that went away. Immediately. Immediately the bone pain went away. The pain I did have which I've spoken about is the soreness from the actual procedure. Like being hit in a fight and being bruised. Not that I've ever been in a fight. I just figure that's how it would feel. That pain only lasted about a day or so. I know by Wednesday I was feeling great!

Mid day and no pain holding him

One thing I have noticed is a different pain. This pain I have had before. Back when I was heavier than I have ever been. It's actually a weakness kind of pain. Before I was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma, I was getting to be in some pretty good shape. Something I hadn't been in, in a long time. I was working out 5 days a week and eating healthy. I still eat decently, but I am not as careful as I could be. I know portion control. And honestly, I can't eat as much as I once used to. I was definitely eating more before my diagnosis, but then again, I was pregnant AND working out 5 days a week. I was so healthy, only gaining about 10 pounds my whole pregnancy. Then came my diagnosis and my doctor telling me after having 2 different MRI's, that I was to only walk for any kind of exercise as I had compression fractures. It was then that I realized the pain I was in wasn't a sciatica or just from being pregnant, it was something deeper. It was the compression fractures my doctor just told me I had. Bone pain.

Using a carrier for the first time in over 6 months

It's hard to describe bone pain. It's a pain. A really bad pain. Almost debilitating at times. I would walk, like my doctor told me I could. Eric and I would go to the mall and Target and just walk. Especially after Brandon came along. But this bone pain I had from my compression fractures was scary. In order to do any  long walks like we used to I would have to hold on to something. Before Brandon came, we would just stop walking and go home so I could relax. After, we would want to stay out of the house since we were cooped up. So, I would have to be the one pushing the stroller. I needed assistance walking. There were a lot of times I would use my cane. Yes, I have a cane. That is how bad the bone pain was that I had. I had to use objects to help me walk. At one point Kellie, our nurse with my oncologist, offered to have him write me a prescription for a walker. The cane or stroller were fine though, so I declined. I could hold Brandon but not for very long while standing. I would have to sit after about 5 or 10 minutes of standing with him. That is how bad my bone pain from the compression fractures were.

He calmed down when I broke out the carrier

Now, back to the different pain I have now, after this cementing procedure. The pain I have now is a weakness. A weakness of my core muscles all around. Front and back, but mostly back. It's worse in the morning. When I've been resting it in my sleep and wake up. It's something that even a hot shower can't help, unlike the arthritis pain I have which the shower does help. No, this weakness pain almost brings me to my knees. I need to now get back to working out. To strengthen my core. I personally want to start with my Piyo workout dvd's I have, but Eric thinks they may be too much to start off with. He might be right, but I never do anything easy. When I went into the working out from my heaviest I had ever been, I started with Focus T25 from Shaun T with Beachbody. At least Piyo (also a Beachbody workout) is not as intense. It's a great stretching workout combining yoga and pilates. I think it would be a good workout to start with and then move on to my T25 again.

So, basically, I do have some pain, but this is a fixable pain with a little hard work. It's not something a doctor can fix with a surgery or some kind of a procedure to fix a problem. This pain will go away. As soon as I get up off my butt and get moving and working out again. Now, to find the time when Brandon will allow me to do it. Until then, I will make sure I don't over exert myself in the mornings and let my body "wake up" or "warm up" before I do anything like picking Brandon up from a standing position where I need to bend over. I'll do it from a sitting position. Later in the day I will be fine, I just have to be careful in the morning. I'm still happy with the cementing procedure. I would do it again if I needed to.

No comments:

Post a Comment