Sunday, August 7, 2016

Another Year Down & A year Almost Over

My 38th birthday was just a few days ago. Just this past Thursday actually. We didn't do anything for it that day because Eric had to work, so we celebrated today. Well, this evening. We went to dinner at our favorite restaurant. Buca di Bepo. Yep. Some delicious Italian food. I got to share the evening with family. Which was really nice. My aunt Jean, Erics mom and step-dad, my brother and sister in law and my niece. Of course, Eric and Brandon were there too. All I ever want for my birthday now as I get older is to celebrate with dinner. Whether it's with just Eric, and now Brandon, with family, with friends, or with family and friends. I am good with a dinner and that's it. Nothing too extravagant. Who else is like that?

Family picture at dinner, courtesy of my aunt Jean

We ended up leaving a little early to dinner so we could get some errands done. I got Brandon some much needed clothing since he's growing like a weed and needed 18 month size clothes. Luckily, Carters is having yet another sale (I think they always have sales) and I got him 3 outfits and 2 pairs of shoes. The shoes because he is getting to that point that he WILL be walking soon. Yep. He's been taking anywhere from 2-4 steps and then grabbing onto furniture or me or falling to the ground on his butt. And he's fast too. By the time I get my camera ready for a video he is done. Doesn't he know I need to get it on video? He probably does and that's why he goes so fast. He want's to watch mommy get excited and then bummed. Ok, probably not, but it's a good thought.

Two step shuffle

Our monkey

Yesterday our little monkey turned 10 months old. Yep, a whole 10 months old! Only two more months until he's a year. Where has the time gone? This time last year we didn't know about my cancer. This time last year we were thinking we had exactly, to the day, three more months to go until we saw out little man. We were still deciding on exactly how we wanted to decorate his room. I was planning out how long I was going to be off work and when I was going to go off work. We were planning Eric's paternity leave. There was so much we were planning, all without knowing what was lurking there in my bone marrow. In my spine. In my body. Not knowing what was to come in the next few days. The start of finding out about my cancer started at my monthly prenatal appointment on August 10th. That's just three days away. Two if you don't count the 30 minutes left in the 7th. That appointment got the ball rolling that lead to eventually finding my cancer.

10 Months Old

When the one year anniversary comes around of my diagnosis, I will not celebrate it. I will, however, celebrate the fact that I have beat it. I have put my burgundy boxing gloves on and kicked Multiple Myeloma's ass. Sorry for the "cuss" word to those who don't like it. But it's true. I have kicked it's ass. And, it will not be back...for a very long time, if at all. Of course, a lot my talking about MM and treatment and everything, will be done on the one year anniversary. It will be a bittersweet day. As that day a year ago, all we knew was a very short life expectancy and how there is no cure. But now, I will talk about so much more. What I've learned over the last year. In the treatment. Living with MM. The pain. The people who have stuck my my side through it all. It may be a two part post. We shall see.

 My musical boy

Ham for the camera

Well, I am going to go start to read Wuthering Heights. Eric bought me the book today when we stopped at Barnes & Noble. I'm excited for it. With Brandon, we shall see how long it takes me to read it. So, until next post, have a fabulous night!


No comments:

Post a Comment