Sunday, October 2, 2016

Multiple Myeloma Support Group & the Weekend

Ever since my diagnosis last year, I have been trying to find a support group. Not just for me, but also for Eric. I figured we could benefit from it. Having people to talk to that were like us. Maybe not so much on the young parents side, but patient/caregiver side for sure. Just last week I commented on a post in a Facebook Multiple Myeloma group. From there, I "met" another local to Sacramento MM patient. She told me about the support group and it just so happens to have a meeting that Saturday (yesterday). She sent me the link to the page so I could look it up. Because I had the day off, I decided it would be perfect to go. Of course, I made sure Brandon could go since I was going to have him, and it was ok as long as he wasn't sick. No problem there. This boy has been lucky so far.



Brandon and I woke up early with Eric so we could get ready to go to the meeting. Unfortunately, Eric couldn't go since he had to work. Maybe next month. But we all got ready for what we had going on and Eric helped me by taking Brandon while I showered. I still have this fear of him getting into something while I am showering and nobody else is home. I guess Brandon ended up with a really messy diaper because Eric asked me to bring a towel down and to hurry. I get downstairs and see Brandon in the sink. He hasn't had a bath in the sink since he was splashing the water all over the kitchen at 4 or 5 months old. This time, he did good. No splashing and making a mess. He just sat there. Like the good boy he is.



Since it was cold, I bundled both Brandon an myself in jeans and sweatshirts (Brandon actually helped me put the sweatshirt on him) and off we went to the meeting. Once there, everybody was welcoming. I was helped and showed where to sign in since I was new and where to get some literature to read and of course, snacks and coffee and juice. A few minutes later I met Liz. She was the one who told me about the group. It was really nice to meet somebody in person who has the same cancer as myself. I've "met" others on Facebook and Instagram but nobody in person. This was nice. Not just to meet Liz, but the rest of the group of patients and caregivers. I also met Brooke, who was in the hospital with Liz for their SCT's at the same time. Somebody else about my age.

Through the meeting, Brandon wandered around with one of the other lady's that was there. She offered to take him for a walk and watch him for a while. He was going up to everybody basically and saying hello. Everybody seemed to love him, but what's not to love? Right? The end of the meeting I took over. I felt bad that she wasn't able to be a part of the meeting and really listen to anything. Even if she said it was no problem. The meeting lasted 2 hours and had a doctor that spoke about the maintenance drug Revlimid. Nothing else.

The end of the meeting I had some of the other attendees come up and introduce themselves to me. Everybody commented on how good Brandon was through the meeting also. That means a lot since I personally thought he was a bit much. We shall see about next time. Especially if Eric comes, which I think it would be good for him. As long as he doesn't have to work.



After the meeting I bet up with Eric's parents to get a few things for Brandon's birthday party. Then we got lunch and came back to the house so they could drop off a few things for when they are helping us this month when I go back to work. I can't thank them enough for helping us out this month. I know they are happy to spend time with Brandon, but it really helps us with everything they will be doing.



Now, today Brandon and I are having a lazy day. It rained a little this morning and now it's partly cloudy, windy and nice and cool out. Ready to continue the lazy day with Brandon.

No comments:

Post a Comment