Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Bitter Sweet

It was a little bitter sweet today. Today is Wednesday. Today was chemo day. Today was my last chemo day at Kaiser Outpatient Oncology. I will be back there in 2 weeks, but just to have labs drawn everyday for a few days, but knowing I won't be there for 2 weeks and then not again for a long time. So, it was definitely bitter sweet.

First, I got a call back from Dr. H yesterday about my latest bone marrow biopsy. We knew from looking at the sample taken that I was doing very well. We just had to wait to see what Pathology said after they tested it. Well, my cancer is almost undetectable. It's still there, lurking, but it's not as detectable in my bone marrow as the last/first biopsy. This is really great news. It also means that this can really help me and be beneficial in my transplant. With collection and the transplant process. So, very good news there!



Once we got there this morning, we visited with the reception staff. Jo and another lady I hadn't really met yet. So I'm not sure of her name. We showed Jo Brandon's new move. His walking with us holding his hands. While sharing that, Jessica came out to get me along with one of the volunteers who wanted to meet Brandon. Because really, who doesn't want to meet him? After a few minutes of cuddles and snuggles we (Jessica and I) went back for my treatment. Today, because it was my last day for treatment, I made and brought the nurses and receptionists cupcakes I made. Which, they were excited. The few who had one basically right away said they were good. Which, I am happy about. I'm not the worlds greatest baker. I am nothing like my friend Summer, but I do try. I look for recipes that will be easy for me to make.

S'mores Cupcakes

I ended up getting not just Velcade today, but my IV Zometa. So, I was going to be there a little longer. It was nice to also because I got to visit with some of the nurses. Let them all know how things were going and what we were going to be doing. Next week we start the pre-transplant process at Stanford. Classes, labs, doctor appointment, catheter placement (in my chest), and Cytosine infusions. A whole week of most likely being exhausted. We get home on Friday night and start the home process. The Neupogen shots. Saturday we start that one. Then, the following Wednesday we will start the daily morning lab draws at oncology until we go back to Stanford to have my stem cells taken out.

After chemo selfie with this guy

Once they are taken out, we come home until June 1 when we go back for up to a month. My actual transplant is on June 6, but we have the pre-transplant appointments and the harsher chemo, Melphalan, which will cause me to lose my hair. So, before we go to Stanford for the month, Eric will be shaving my hair off. But not before I have my friend Colleen give me a haircut that is WAY out of my norm. I have what I am going to do, but no pictures yet. I will post them after the appointment.

I missed seeing some of the staff today, but I know I will see them on Facebook or when I go back for the labs. It's just weird to think I won't see them each week for a while. Now, I sit here, watching Brandon watch Little Einsteins and the dogs play with each other. Eric is about to cook an amazing dinner and I am going to clean up a little at a time. Laundry must get started so we are ready for next week and lists need to be made of what we need to do and what we need to pack and bring. If I don't make a list, we will forget it. And, I don't want to forget anything. So, it's off to relax, clean and list make. Until next time!

Relaxing, comfy clothes, writing

No comments:

Post a Comment