Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Wednesday = Chemo Day

Since November, Wednesdays have a whole new meaning. Wednesday is chemo day. Wednesday have been dedicated to Kaiser and going in for my chemo treatment. It's fast really once there. I don't have to sit in a chair for hours on end like some people. I guess I am lucky that way. But, I still get chemo.
The day starts at home. Depending on what time my appointment is at Kaiser, we wake up in the morning. We have a routine. Most days when we wake up I take care of Brandon and Eric goes down stairs first and gets coffee started then takes the dogs out & gets their food. Usually I am changing Brandon's diaper and feeding him. Then, once we have relaxed and had our coffee for a bit, we have breakfast. I need to eat before I do the "pregame" of chemo for the day. I say pregame because really, that's what it is. A pregame of pills.
Pregame Pills

Before my cancer diagnosis, I could barely take an Aleve or anything like that. I am just not good at taking pills. Now, I have on a daily basis 12 pills I take in the morning and 8 at night. On Wednesdays though, I have 33 pills I have to take in the morning. The number triples! On a daily basis I take in the morning a:
calcium pill {2}
anti viral pill {2}
one to prevent gout {1}
prenatal pill (I was told to keep taking it since I was taking it before the rest of them) {1}
pain pill {2}
a pill so I don't get constipated (I know, gross, but it can happen) {2}
blood pressure {1}
an anti nausea pill {1}
On Wednesday mornings, my pregame is all of those pills listed above but the anti nausea one is 2 pills, then there are my 21 chemo pills. It's 2 different chemo pills. 11 of one and 10 of the other.Then, when I get to Kaiser, once a month I have a 15-20 minute IV of Zometa for my bones and every Wednesday is a quick shot in my stomach of Velcade. Velcade is my chemo I get there. The controlled stuff.
Zometa IV

After Kaiser, depending on what we have planned, we usually go "shopping". It doesn't mean we go buy stuff, we just get out and walk around. We will usually go to the same places. The mall, Buy Buy Baby, Cost Plus World Market, Michaels, Barnes & Noble, and CostCo. My doctor doesn't want me doing my old Beachbody workouts due to my compression fractures, but wants me to walk. So, this is the best way to do it. Just walk around stores. I usually feel pretty good after treatment, so it's the best time to do this.
There are side affects of my treatment. Not the pills, but the Velcade and Zometa. Usually within a few hours after treatment I get a headache. It will come anywhere from a few hours later to the next day. I can't take anything stronger than Tylenol for it, and that doesn't help at all. So all I do is LOTS of water, a little caffeine and rest. The nausea/sick feeling usually happens a few days later. On Saturdays. Sometimes taking an extra anti nausea pill will help. Other times nothing does. All I have to do is push through. If the anti nausea pill doesn't work, I usually call a friend or neighbor to come help me. But, lately I haven't had to. The extra pill has been working and my nauseous feeling has been coming anytime between Thursday and Saturday while Eric is still home.
Another staple of chemo day is Target! Yep, Target! Who doesn't love Target, right? It's just peaceful there. I know all my moms love Target. Especially if they get to go alone. But I have gotten Eric to really like it too. A dad who loves going to Target! I'm sure as Brandon gets older and knows more of symbols of different stores and places, he will be excited for Target also.
Eric playing guitar, Brandon watching while I write

So, today is Wednesday. Chemo Day. I am sitting here in Brandon's room while he rolls all over it, plays with toys and listening to Eric play his guitar. We've had our typical morning as listed before of taking care of the dogs and breakfast. I've finished my pregame of pills. Next is to shower, get dressed and off to Kaiser...and of course our "shopping" locations.
Looking out the window in Brandon's room

Hope everybody has wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment