Sunday, April 3, 2016

Nap Time

Something new has started happening the last few days here in our home. Something that I need to figure out how to deal with it for when I have my transplant. The thing happening is Brandon only taking naps or falling asleep while I am holding him during the day. At night it can be either Eric or me, but since I am home with him all day, so far he will only take a nap the last few days while I am holding him. It could be because he's had this cold/allergy thing going on along with teething and just wants to feel comforted, or it could be a new thing we need to break for now.

Fell asleep in my arms 

The reason we need to break it for now is that when I have my transplant, I can't sleep with him. I can be around him. Hold him during the day (as long as he doesn't play with my catheter) play with him, feed him. I just can't sleep with him or change his diapers or clean up his spit up. The reason being, my immune system will already be working overtime to come back up to where it needs to be and those things can make me sick, among other things. Which, we really don't need when we are trying to make me better.

A little dark, but nap time with mommy

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE sleeping next to him and holding him while he naps. He brings me a sense of calm. Plus, when I am holding him it makes me sleepy. So, I get a nap also. Otherwise, I sit there looking for something to do that won't wake him up. Should he actually stay asleep longer than 5 or 10 minutes in his bassinet. Today was a good example. He was really tired. I held him as I usually do rocking him in my chair until he was asleep. Then, I gently put him down in his bassinet and walked away. Not even 5 minutes later, I hear him making noises or crying. This happened 3 times before I decided to take him upstairs and we lay down on the bed and he immediately fell asleep for an hour and a half. That was the best nap he's had in a while. He woke up happy and ready to play.

One thing he does when I'm rocking him to sleep or if I lay next to him is he will roll towards me touch my face. I used to think he wanted to be touching me somehow. With a foot, a hand, his body. Something. But now, as I really think about it, its always a hand on my face. I think it's his comfort. Helps him know I am there. It's his security blanket. How can I ever break him of that? It's the best feeling in the world.

Always has a hand on my face

In the end, I don't want to break him of sleeping with me or Eric. We want it to be his decision. I will have to get used to it for a few months. I'm not going to lie, its going to be hard. But it is necessary for my health for a short time. If that means I can be around a lot longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment