Thursday, May 5, 2016

Full Day At the Treatment Center

Morning snuggles

The alarm was set for 5:30am this morning. Both Eric and I were up at 5am automatically because we had to use the restroom. For me, it was because of the saline fluids being pumped through me constantly since about 4pm yesterday. Then, we couldn't fall back to sleep. Mainly because we knew that the alarm was going to be going off within about 20 or 30 minutes, so we slowly got up to start getting ready. I didn't want to get up. Not that I didn't want to get ready to go or anything, I just know I need more sleep. At least when we do sleep while here, the beds are REALLY comfortable. I sleep so good when I am sleeping here. I do believe that we will be needing to get a new mattress very soon.

Me, waiting to meet my nurse and get started

We finally got up and Eric got the coffee going while I got myself prepared to get in the shower. By prepared, I mean taking a baggie and putting my Hickman line in it, sealing it shut, folding it up, and taping it to me. It's a process for the next 2 months. But honestly, I'll do it if it means I will be getting better. I was finally ready to get in the shower. That was tough because I was still hooked up to my BIG bag of hydration. So I could only reach so far with that attached to me. To give you an idea of just how big the bag is, a normal bag is 1 liter. Like I am hooked up to now sitting in the hospital bed for my treatment. This bag that I wheel everywhere with me is just over 4 liters. That's why I emphasized big. Ok, back on track now. Squirrel! One of the things I'm not supposed to do right now since getting my Hickman line yesterday is have my head lower than my heart. The reason being, if that happens, I can get dizzy and possibly faint. So, Eric had to help me dry off. I finally got dressed, did my hair and make-up and was ready to go. At this point, we still had about 45 minutes before we had to leave. I had my coffee, had an English muffin and took my pills. 

Here we are, before anything got hooked up

While Eric was showering I got to hold my sleeping baby boy. Something we saw this morning (well, we knew it before, but kind of cool to see when you are limited on things) was that Brandon was squirmy with Eric. He was kind of asleep, kind of awake and really fidgety. This was before I got in the shower. So, Eric took Brandon and laid him down next to me and he instantly stopped squirming and being fidgety. I'll be honest. It's the boobs. He loves the boobs. It's one of his comforts. I gave him about 20 minutes of mommy cuddles before I really had to get in the shower. After this morning, part of my precautions is that I will not be able to sleep with him in the same bed. So sad, but I need my health to be able to be here for him in the long run. 

Loving these yellow hospital socks

Once Eric and I were both ready, we got Brandon (he was still sleeping) with grandma and grandpa and we were about to walk out the door when Eric dropped on accident his breakfast. I felt so bad. He told me to go ahead and go and he will meet me here or catch up with me. I ended up getting faster than he could catch up to me. I'm a fast walker. I learned that from my step-mom when we wherein a mission in the mall. Back then, I remember thinking "you're walking too fast". Now, I realize, it was just her way of getting herself and 4 kids through the crowds and to where she wanted to go. Very efficient if you ask me. So, he caught up to me when I was checking in for my treatment. 

WHAT? That's 7 bags of different things

We were called back and the nurse assistant Kenny did my weight, then took us to our room where he continued the vital signs. blood pressure and temperature. One thing I do have to say, here at Stanford, they do everything in kilograms and celsius. I've never seen that in a hospital. It's kinda cool, but for me I have to really think about it. Of course, I usually look it up later. Then we met my nurse for the day. Shawnee is awesome. Really, all of our nurses have been amazing. She went over what we would be doing today and gave me the menu for my meals. They were going to get my breakfast so I was ready to look for what I wanted. She got me unhooked from my hydration on wheels and hooked up to the saline bags here, along with Zofran to help me not get sick, lasicks (so I can pee), and then my Cytoxan chemo. The chemo part was only 2 hours. The rest is just hydration. The reason for hydration I mentioned in my previous post, but basically Cytoxan, if you are not hydrated can cause an infection in your bladder and cause the bladder lining to bleed. They found if they hydrate you well before, during and after, it won't cause that. So, that is the need for the hydration on wheels until tomorrow and the long day here today. 

Starting to blog & I NEED my Posh hand creme

Basically, all I have done here is write some, talk to people checking in on me through text or Facebook, talk to Eric, and pee. We did get up and walk the hall a little after lunch. I needed to stretch my legs. It's weird doing that and having a tower with saline bags attached to it tagging along. Kind of cramps the "date". But, Eric didn't mind. I miss Brandon. I think today is the longest I have been away from him yet. But, I know he is doing well and in good hands with Erics parents. 

The menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner

Now we are back at the apartment. Since the last paragraph we ordered dinner (both of us had a spring salad with chicken and ranch), Shawnee watched and helped Eric change my dressing and clean around the area of my Hickman line, I was hooked up to a new BIG bag of hydration to take with me, we had our dinners, and I got my hepa mask I will need to wear when outside of the home or car. Going anywhere, I have to wear it until after my stem cells are taken out of me. Then I am free to roam about the country (ok, Stanford area and home) without it until we return back and I get my next chemo on June 2nd.
Down to just 2 bags of saline from the 7 different ones I started with

I thought the mask was going to be uncomfortable, but it's not. Its actually pretty comfortable. I'm already used to it and only wore it for the 4 minute walk back to the apartment from the Cancer Center. We are now relaxing here at the apartment. Thinking of maybe going to the arboretum area here. It's an outdoor area thats full of trees. We've driven through it on the way here, but haven't stopped and walked around. So if it doesn't rain, which it looks like it's going to, we will head over there after everybody has eaten and Brandon wakes up. It shows just how much exercise he's getting with grandma and grandpa. He's taken more naps than he does at home and sleeps longer too. Then again, I also believe he's growing, he's definitely teething and he's using his brain a lot more. That can tire anybody out. 

The way Eric was able to take a nap

I know I keep saying it, but THANK YOU everybody who reads my posts, has helped us and checked in on us. They are much appreciated. We are trying to respond to everybody but sometimes it gets away from us. The main portion of this process is in motion and started. 

No comments:

Post a Comment