Thursday, May 26, 2016

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow

After we shaved my head

Since over a week ago, the day after my stem cells were taken out and I started to have my hair coming out of my head easily with no pain, I've thought about hair. Long ago, before I was even ever diagnosed with cancer and had to go through chemotherapy, I had thought of shaving my hair off. It was actually just over 5 years ago. When my friend Kristy was diagnosed with breast cancer. But, I chickened out. I figured I would look weird. That I would have an odd shaped head or bumps or something. Fast forward 5 years and here I am, shaved head and now basically bald. I have a few small hairs left. But I am sure those will all come out after my next chemo treatment before I get my stem cells back.

No hair, don't care

People value their hair. Some more than others. I will be honest, I was one of those people. Yeah, I've cut my hair pretty short before, but never been brave enough to shave it off, until now. First, I decided to go and get a funky hair cut. One that I do believe I will get again once I have hair again. It may even be my new go to hairstyle. I loved it that much. Then, just over a week ago, when my hair started coming out, Eric shaved my hair off for me. I will be honest, I was scared and nervous. All those thoughts I had before, were still there. But, it had to be done. Once it was done, I actually liked it. It looked good. I felt a little like Demi Moore in G.I. Jane. I had a lot of friends tell me Sinead O'Connor had nothing on me. Eric kept telling me I looked really sexy. He loved the funky hair cut I got before, and he really loved my shaved head also. Now, it's bald. White, since it's never seen the light of day. I need to be careful with going outside. Which is where wearing hats and beanies comes in now.

Bright pink wig from Pink On the Brink at Unconventional

Right now I have only 2 hats, both black which really will not be ok once it gets really got this summer, and a beanie I have been wearing. The beanie is a thin one I've had for years and mainly wear it indoors to keep my head warm because my head gets cold really fast. It's amazing how fast it gets cold. I have a friend who has sent me some head scarves (which her sister gave to me) and she will be sending me more soon. I have another friend, Karen, who took to group she is in asking about wigs and hats and such, and she is sending me some hats and wigs which came from another lady who had cancer and lost her hair. She said her hairs finally growing back and she doesn't need them anymore. I also remembered I had an old bright pink one from my first and unfortunately only Perfectly Posh Unconventional even two years ago in Las Vegas. It needs a little work. A brush or comb to go through it, but it's really fun! Another Posh sister Jen sent me an old purple one she had. That one just arrived today and I wore it for about half the day.

I really like this purple one, Eric tried it too

I can't wait to see what comes from Karen. I am definitely going to bring some of the wigs to Stanford to wear when I go in for my check-up appointment with Dr. W, my labs, my chemo days, and of course getting my stem cells back. I'll have to see which one I should do for that day. Should I go normal and calm or funky and bright? Decisions decisions. I will only be able to decide once I see all that I will have available. Of course, there's always a beanie, hat or head scarf. So many options. So little time. What do you think?

Loving my beanie, too

What I've learned in the last week is, it really doesn't matter about your hair. It will grow back. Once it's back, I can do anything with it. Try different styles. maybe different colors. Still wear wigs, hats, beanies, or scarves. The sky is the limit. At this point, I am keeping my options open. And, realizing that hair isn't everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment