Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Getting Ready

Here we are. Our last day at home before about a month away at Stanford. Both Eric & I have said we feel a lot more ready than we have. The first trip we didn't know what to expect. The second we thought we may be there for a week and it was a quick "Ok, we need you here at 7:30am tomorrow" trip. And, we were only there for a day. This time though, we know we will be there for at least 20 days. Maybe longer. My actual transplant is on June 6th and they say I'll typically be there for at least 20 days after. It really depends on my levels and when my WBC (white blood cells) come back up.

This time, we had a lot taken care of the few days before we need to leave. Paperwork is all put together. Laundry is done, or almost done. We cleared out the cabinets and refrigerator of expired or going to be expired items. Have our usual dog sitter in place. The toys Brandon is going to need. We even went to CostCo last week and got a whole box of diapers and wipes to be ready. The only things left are to pack, which we will finish in the morning, and load the car. We plan on loading the car tonight. Well, at least start to load it tonight. Less to do early in the morning.

We have an early wake up too. We decided last week that we want to try to be at Stanford an hour early. So we don't feel rushed. Our plan is to leave at 9am for my 1:10pm lab appointment and 2:15pm Dr. W appointment. If we get there early, there's always the Stanford Shopping Center we can walk around. Of course, lunch will be needed also.

We have a few things planned for tomorrow after the appointments and for Thursday, before my overnight hospital stay for chemo. One thing is going to Pacifica. Taking Brandon to see the beach. I'd like to try to get some family pictures of us on the beach. So, note to self, charge the Nikon battery & bring the tripod! Can't forget those items.

It may sound weird, but I'm kind of excited for this trip. Don't get me wrong, I am nervous too, but I'm excited because this is really the end of this part. The beginning of my "complete response". The equivalent of remission. My cancer will come back. They (the doctors) say it can anywhere between 3-7 years. Sometimes, in some cases, it could be longer, or shorter. I, personally, am aiming for longer. Brandon will be anywhere from 3-7 years old before it may come back. Or he could be older. Maybe even graduating high school by the time it does. We have no idea. But, I will be doing everything I can to make my response be longer.

Now, I am off to spend time with Eric and Brandon while we wait for my cars service to be done. Then, off to start the packing.

No comments:

Post a Comment