Saturday, July 9, 2016

Day +33 - 3 Days With No Special Diet

Day +33. I am 33 days old today. Feeling a little better each day. Getting closer and closer to being myself. Many people have asked me what I had as my first meal not on the low microbial diet. It wasn't so much a meal, as it was a sandwich. Or, really, a burger. I was able to have homemade hamburgers while on the diet, but I was craving a few days ago a Sourdough Jack burger from Jack In the Box. Here's something about those and me...I don't EVER eat those. I had one maybe 10 years ago and it was too greasy for me. But, for some reason, I was craving it. So, Eric brought one home for me on the way home from work. And let me tell ya, it hit the spot. That burger tasted so good. I can't say I will ever get another one. I haven't had a craving for it since and it doesn't sound good now, but that day. My first day not on the low microbial diet, that Sourdough Jack was amazing!

Since being off the special diet, I haven't gone too crazy. Honestly, I've had that burger and then one of my old friends was in town for work and she came by. We ended up getting pizza. Just like the Sourdough Jack, it hit the spot. But, unlike the burger, I wasn't craving pizza. But it still hit the spot. Also, unlike the burger, I will definitely have pizza again. We ended up with Round Table Pizza. Since they deliver. We got a pizza I hadn't had before. The Italian Garlic something or other. It was really good. Probably one of the best pizzas I have had.

Dinner tonight...makeshift chicken parmesan

Now, I know that I can go back to eating anything again and eating out, but there are a few things I'd rather not eat yet. Just to make sure. Lettuce and tomato are two things. Mainly because there is a fear they may carry listeria. Of course, we can wash them here at home, but out at a restaurant or fast food place, you can't guarantee that the people who prepare your food are going to clean it the way I need it to be cleaned. That's a mother reason I'm not going crazy and eating out everywhere I can right now.

Not only is eating out a shock to my system after over a month of not eating out, but my taste buds have changed a little. They will come back, but we were told to give it at least another month until that does happen. So, no eating at my favorite places. Also, my stomach isn't what it used to be. I can't eat as much as I used to. One example is mac and cheese. I can make a box and usually eat almost half of it. I know, crazy. Now, I am lucky if I have 1/4 of it. If that. It's nice though, because I learn better portion control. But, I definitely haven't deprived myself of the sweet stuff. Mainly cookies and candies. Hard candies like Jolly Ranchers and other candies like M&M's mainly. Oh! Twix too! Love me my Twix!

Using B's high chair as a table, otherwise his hands get in my food

Hopefully by the beginning of August I will feel up to going out for a nice dinner. Eric and I usually go to Buca di Bepo for our anniversary/my birthday. It's all going to depend on my appetite and taste buds at that point. Like everything else since the beginning of the transplant process, it may have to wait and be celebrated later. I want my taste buds to be back to normal for that restaurant. I would have to say, it's probably my favorite Italian restaurant. There are others that are a close second though.

Until the next post, I leave you with a picture of the delicious cookie Eric brought home from work. You have got to love these CostCo chocolate chip cookies!!!

CostCo chocolate chip cookie...yum!!

No comments:

Post a Comment