Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Day +44 - Started Maintenance Chemo

Today I started my maintenance chemo. I was given the choice 2 weeks ago of either a pill everyday or the Velcade shot every two weeks. I'm not very good at taking pills. I gag. Even though I've been taking them for almost a year now. I just can't seem to get used to them. So, I obviously didn't pick the pill everyday. I went for the Velcade shot. One time a week every two weeks.

I was on Velcade before my transplant. Actually, from November through April I'd go in every Wednesday for my shot. So, I knew it would work for me. It didn't really make me sick either after I got used to it. And, honestly, me getting sick could have been the Dexamethasone chemo pills I had to take every Wednesday before going in for my treatment. This time, I'm not taking Dex. Kind of nice.

Today the appointment was late morning. We got there and Eric dropped me off because we were running late. I went upstairs and got checked in and was called back before he got to the waiting room. His parents were already there also since they were going to hang out with Brandon while Eric came and sat back with me for treatment. I got to talk to them for a few minutes before getting called back and got set up. Eric wasn't that far behind and was there with me before my IV was started. Now, we learned something new today. I knew that you shouldn't cross your legs while having your blood pressure taken. It messes with it and usually causes it to read higher. What I didn't know was that you shouldn't cross your legs when having an IV started. The reason for that is blood flow. Learning something new every day.

Getting ready to go to maintenance chemo day one

The nurse, whom I'd never had before, started my IV, but not before it took her a little bit to get my veins. The problem was because I hadn't been drinking as much water as I should have been like before. I even forgot my water bottle at home. The one I usually brought with me before. So, we tried pumping and tried heat. Finally, she brought out the vein finder. I'll tell ya, that thing is amazing! The light shines on you and it shows where the veins are. Kind of like if you were to look into somebody house with their lights on and shade closed. It was a shadow of my veins. Pretty cool. But, now I realize I need to drink more water starting at least the day before I get Zometa. I heard also if you drink ice water over room temperature water, it helps plump the veins even more.

So, Zometa was started. That takes about 15 minutes. Then, my nurse came over with my Velcade shot. That's quick and easy. A shot in my tummy and we are all good. Through all of this, Eric and I got to talk to some of our nurse friends we hadn't seen in a while. I had "checked-in" on Facebook at Oncology department and Jessica saw and came to look for us. Then, Kellie came over to talk to us also. It was so nice to be able to talk to them. Especially Jessica since she will be going out soon to get ready for her baby coming. Of course, we talked about Brandon and her baby to be and her daughter. They, the nurses there, make us feel important. Like we are family. It reminds me of how I dispatch. My officers are my family. At Kaiser Roseville Oncology, the nurses really take the time to get to know you. To talk to you. To become your family. You are there enough, they really are your second family. I don't know any other way to explain it.

I was done and Jessica went back to work. All I had going through the IV now was regular old saline. Eric and I were sitting there longer than usual. We ended up getting forgotten about. But, I said something and got disconnected and we were free to go. Even with getting forgotten about, it was so good to be back at Kaiser Roseville Oncology infusion center. Back to our family. Stanford was great. But they were the really good friend we went to visit for a little while. And they sent us back to our family.

That was my first day of maintenance chemo in a nutshell. Easy. Relaxing. Happy. Odd to be happy about chemo, but it's who you are with and around that make it that way. Now, I am off to bed. I need to get some sleep. As Jessica, Eric and I were talking about, I need my rest still. I am still healing. Recuperating really, from my transplant. And some days my body really tells me by almost shutting down. When I overdo it. Today, I didn't overdo it. Today, chemo day, was a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment